Simple Twitter Connect
( Hey, if you like STC, why not check out Simple Facebook Connect too? )
Plugin: Simple Twitter Connect
Last updated: 100 days ago.
Downloaded: 74,835 times.
Following the same pattern as the Simple Facebook Connect plugin, this is a plugin to make connecting a WordPress blog to Twitter easy.
Unlike Twitter Tools and other systems, this plugin uses Twitter’s latest authentication mechanisms. No putting in Twitter names or passwords. Clicking the Connect with Twitter button will redirect a user to Twitter for approval, then bring them back to where they came from, only now with their Twitter credentials available for use. Sub-plugins can then make any use of this they like.
Note: This is fully compatible with Simple Facebook Connect, and can even run at the same time as it. Naturally.
Currently, WordPress 2.9 or higher and PHP 5. I don’t write code for older versions of WordPress, or obsolete versions of PHP. Sorry.
- Easy to install and use.
- Modular. Only use the pieces you want to use.
- Integrates easily into any theme.
- Simple control panel, only has the options you need for the pieces you activate.
- Secure. Uses the latest WordPress coding techniques to eliminate tricky security problems.
- Login using Twitter Credentials
- Comment using Twitter credentials
- Users can auto-tweet their comments
- Tweet button
- Tweetmeme button
- Auto-tweet new posts to an account
- Manual post tweeting
- Full @anywhere support
- Auto-link all twitter names on the site
- Pull tweets back in as posts
- (whatever you like, send me suggestions!)
- Upload the files to the `/wp-content/plugins/simple-twitter-connect/` directory.
- Activate the base plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Configure Twitter for your site by following the instructions on the Settings screen.
- Activate the sub plugins you want to use through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress and configure them appropriately. Some require no configuration at all, some require minor theme changes.
There’s too darned many shortlink systems out in the world. So, this plugin does not implement shortlinks at all.
Instead, it relies on the new Shortlinks API in WordPress 3.0. Unfortunately, this means that if you’re not running WP 3.0, you won’t see shortlinks appear in your tweets (although Twitter might turn some normal links into bit.ly ones for you).
My advice: Be patient. 3.0 will be released eventually.
This plugin is licensed under the GPL Version 2 only.
Method to get support